The Children Aren't Alright

Sometimes I get these rude awakenings. These moments where I'm suddenly reminded that I'm really just a kid and that I'm terrified. They come when I suddenly have to face an adult problem, like not having enough money to pay my bills. It ambushes me when I'm confronted with the unknown and it shakes me to my core. Suddenly, I feel this need to crawl into bed and pretend I'm 10 and that mommy and daddy will take care of everything. But of course, that doesn't work. Because mommy and daddy can't take care of everything, only some things. And when I finally creep out from under the covers with bloodshot eyes and tear-stained cheeks, I discover all of my problems just as I'd left them. They all come rushing at me, even the ones I'd managed to temporarily push out of my mind before.

So what's the best way to deal with these problems? The things that I can only wait out and hope everything turns out okay?

Window-shopping therapy, of course. Sometimes it just helps to walk around with a good friend, looking in windows, trying every perfume in the store, and letting yourself have a little adventure. Window-shopping therapy can also be followed by an hour and a half of traffic escapades with Pandora. There's a lot to be said for distraction. All the problems may still be there when you get back, but they seem to get smaller somehow, at least for the time-being. So, to one of my dearest friends, and fellow adventurer, thank you for being there. I owe you one. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel