L'Kavod Shabbos Baking: Cranberry Cake

Hello ladies and gents!

Welcome to my new segment, "L'Kavod Shabbos Baking." I can't promise that there will be one every week because usually my l'kavod Shabbos baking is really boring (aka - stuff I've already blogged about). But this week, while perusing one of my favorite time wasters, Tastespotting.com, I cam across a couple great things I want to share.

The first is a blog called "Couldn't Be Parve," which is written by a Conservative Rabbi on a mission to develop Parve foods that are so good, you can't believe it's not milchig. She has some pretty awesome sounding recipes on there, but my favorite thing is her In the Pantry section where she introduces all sorts of really great substitutions for dairy ingredients. I recommend checking it out if you like cooking Parve.

The second thing I found is a very easy recipe for cranberry cake. If you're anything like me, and I hope you are, you love cranberries. So the choice to make this recipe is a no-brainer. Short ingredient's list, quick prep time and absolutely wonderful outcome. The only downside is that you probably really want a stand mixer if you're going to make this since it requires you to beat the eggs for 5-7 minutes until they "increase in volume" and "form ribbons." But trust me, this recipe is just amazing enough for it to be worth it.

This can be made in a 9x13 pan or a 10" springform pan. I made it in a 9x13, but on the blogs where I saw it, it was made in a springform. I really wanted to make it into muffins, but I wanted to first see how it would bake up normally so I could get a feel for time. If you try it, let me know how it goes.



Cranberry Cake as seen on one cake, two cake, which adapted it from Vanilla Garlic

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chunks {I used margarine}
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk {I used soy milk}
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 1/2 cups cranberries (12 ounce bag)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 pan or a 10-inch springform pan.

  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar for 5-7 minutes, until eggs have increased in volume and stream into ribbons when you lift the beaters.

  3. Add butter and vanilla and beat until incorporated, about 2 minutes.

  4. Beat in milk and salt.

  5. Stir in flour, then fold in cranberries.

  6. Scrape batter into prepared pan.

  7. Bake for approximately an hour, until a tester comes out clean (but there might be cranberry juices on it). Cool on a wire rack. If using springform, run a knife around the cake and then unmold.

Comments

rutimizrachi said…
Looks delish! I haven't seen frozen cranberries yet in Israel... I'll have to solve that one first.
Mrs. Pom said…
It was so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut Milk Caramel

Strawberry Picking