Did you miss me?

I apologize for failing to update. I'm sure my throngs of fans have been weeping with anxious anticipation. Sorry to disappoint, but I have nothing fabulous to write about today either. I haven't done a whole lot of cooking lately, but I did cook for this past shabbos and will gladly share the recipes I made with all you.

I was having a vegetarian friend over along with two couples and decided a pareve lunch would be nice. The vegetarian friend eats fish, so that made things a lot simpler. My menu was simple: Minestrone soup, two types of fish, and cake. I had one couple bring a side dish and the other bring a salad. All in all, the meal turned out very nice.

For the minestrone, I tweaked it to leave out the veggies I don't like and added in veggies I DO like. So I left out the canned beans and green beans and added in acorn squash. I also left out the cheese, because my crock pot is still fleishig.

For the fish, I made a pan of salmon filets baked with dill, kosher salt, and pepper, along with a dijon dill dipping sauce. (This recipe is from Quick and Kosher by Jamie Gellar)

I also made my mother's tilapia recipe which would have been much better if it had been served hot. Fresh out of the oven it was incredible.

Tilapia cooked with dill and white wine:
  • Frozen Tilapia fillets (I used three bages of frozen tilapia, totaling about 12 fillets)
  • Margarine or butter
  • Fresh dill, chopped
  • 1-2 lemons
  • salt
  • pepper
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • cayenne pepper (all seasonings should be sprinkled lightly. Don't go overboard with these seasonings.)
  • White wine
  1. Rinse tilapia under running water to soften and remove any ice crystals.
  2. place fillets in a 9x13 (or two) pan, sprayed with cooking spray.
  3. Take margarine or butter and place small dollops around the pan. There should be at least one small dollop on each fillet.
  4. Squeeze lemon(s) over fillets to sprinkle juice all around.
  5. Sprinkle dill all around fillets, then season with listed seasonings, using a light hand.
  6. Drizzle white wine around the pan, enough to ensure a thin layer on the bottom of the pan.
  7. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until the Tilapia flakes when you try to take a little off with a fork. Serve hot (or cold. But better when served hot.)



The cake was a Duncan Heinz Dark Chocolate Cake Mix, made with a 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree and two eggs. Then I made my own chocolate icing which came out surprisingly light and delicious.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
  • 1/2 Cup of butter/margarine
  • 1 Cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 Cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Milk or Soy Milk
  1. Using a hand (or stand) mixer, cream the margarine.
  2. Add sugar, cocoa, and vanilla, and cream until incorporated.
  3. If the icing looks dry or too thick, add milk or soy milk about 1 tsp at a time until you get your desired consistency.


Th-th-th-that's all folks! Until we meet again. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel