Spinach Calzones

Today is the first day of the 9 Days, during which, as a sign of mourning, we do not eat meat. Normally, this doesn't bother me because I'm more of a dairy person anyway. But this year, silly me, I cooked for Shabbos anticipating leftovers to tide us over through some of the week. So...we've got some chicken that may become soup next shabbos...

Anyway, the point of this riveting story is that I had to come up with something for dinner tonight. I had bought some ingredients for making calzones a couple weeks ago and had never gotten around to it, so I offered that as a dinner option to the Huz. Needless to say, he got a little excited.

The thing about calzones is that they're very easy to make. You whip up a batch of pizza dough, make your filling, fill, fold, and bake. The process usually takes between 30-45 minutes.

I used some guidelines for my filling, but I did my own thing for the most part. It came out very tasty, but I'm concerned that the filling didn't fully cook. I also think that in the future, I will make 4 smaller calzones instead of 2 large ones. For me, the filling to dough ratio was a little too high.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures before we started eating, so the ones I have aren't the best, or most appetizing, so I'll keep them to myself. Just imagine a calzone. That's what they looked like.

Anyway, here's the recipe. Enjoy! :)

Spinach Calzones

Ingredients
  • Pizza dough (recipe here)
  • 1 container low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 Cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
  • 1 Cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
Instructions
  1. Mix all of the ingredients, excluding the pizza dough, in a bowl.
  2. Separate the pizza dough into 2-4 portions (depending on your size preference) and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
  3. place 1/2 or 1/4 (depending on how many calzones your making) of the filling on one side of the rolled out dough. Fold the other half of the dough over and pinch closed, being careful not to let the filling squeeze out.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees Farenheit for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure the calzone isn't burning, and try to gauge when you think the filling is cooked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut Milk Caramel

Strawberry Picking