Muffin Cookies

It's been a long long time since I've made cookies.  I just couldn't take it.  Had to get back on that horse.



But with baby around, I have to be a little more conscientious about what I bake.



You know I like to make my cookies SLIGHTLY healthier with little changes like oil instead of butter, whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, etc.

But for my baby?  Doesn't feel like enough!

Call me crazy.  Go ahead.  Do it.



Anyway, with healthiness in mind, I made these cookies with apple sauce instead of oil, honey instead of white sugar, whole wheat flour, and less brown sugar.  I had to add more flour to the recipe to thicken the dough.  In the end, they came out tasting like kind of awesome muffins.  If I make this again, I'll put it in a muffin tin and add in some shredded zucchini, apple, and a dash of cinnamon.



Oatmeal Muffin Cookies


  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 3/4 C honey
  • 1 C apple sauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 C whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 C Old Fashioned Oats
  • Optional add-ins: raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, shredded zucchini, shredded carrot, chopped apple, blueberries
  1. Mix brown sugar, honey, apple sauce, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Combine flour mixture with sugar mixture
  4. Mix in oats.
  5. Spoon onto baking sheet or into muffin tins.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (for cookies.  Probably more like 20-25 mins for muffins).
  6. Let cool for a few mins before removing to a cooling rack.  Munch munch, and feed to kiddies.

Update (7/24/2013): I have, since this post, attempted to make this into muffins, once successfully, and once quite unsuccessfully. The successful time, I forgot the oats and added shredded zucchini and carrots. Result was moist, lightly sweet, and found incredible favor with my toddler. The unsuccessful time, I included the oats, zucchini, and carrots, but used pumpkin instead of apple sauce and reduced the sugars. It came out kinda...solid. Not tasty. Very awful. Toddler wouldn't touch it.

Last week I did cookies again, basing it on the "Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" from the Quaker Oats canister. I used whole wheat flour, craisins instead of raisins, added shredded zucchini, replaced the white sugar with honey, and replaced the butter with half coconut oil and half peanut butter. Results were again awesome and well-received by the toddler community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel