Apple Ginger Crumble & Rosh Hashana Cooking


In past years, I've left cooking for the holidays largely up to my parents and in-laws.  We'd split meals between our families and at most, I'd be making some sort of dessert.  Well this year, with our toddler's nap and bedtime schedules, eating out for the meals really wasn't going to be practical.  So this year, I decided to go it alone and cook enough food to last for a 3 day holiday.

I wanted to keep things simple, but I also wanted to incorporate the simanim (symbolic foods) into my menu. So here's what I came up with:

Round raisin challahs
Sweet & Sour Gefilte Fish
Honey Glazed Meatballs (served over mashed sweet potatoes)
Roasted Beets
Acorn Squash Stuffed With Brown Rice & Dates
Apple Ginger Crumble

Everything came out tasty, but there was WAY TOO MUCH FOOD for two people and a toddler. So we have leftovers (yay!).

By far, the most interesting and successful recipe of the holiday was the Apple Ginger Crumble.  It was sweet and warm with a good bite. And since this recipe is quick and easy, it's definitely not JUST a holiday recipe. Make it any time you're stumped for dessert. :)

Note: Yes, I DID taste it before taking this picture...Don't judge, it smelled amazing.

I will warn that I made this with a VERY intense ginger flavor, which we really enjoyed, but some people may prefer to tone it down a little.  I chopped up a small bag of candied ginger, some people may prefer to use less, or to simple substitute powdered ginger and some sugar. 

Apple Ginger Crumble
  • For apple ginger filling:
  • ~3lbs of apples, cored and sliced thin
  • about 3oz candied ginger, chopped (substitute with 1 Tbsp powdered ginger and an additional 1/2 C of sugar to tone down the ginger bite) (Note: I actually ALSO included some fresh chopped ginger AND powdered ginger because I had them on hand and was going NUTS. I loved the outcome, but I think just the candied ginger would do fine.)
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C water
For Crumble Topping:
  • 1 C quick cook oats
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 C butter/margarine melted
To make the filling, simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then pour into a baking dish (I used a 9x13 aluminum foil pan for easy clean-up). To make the crumble topping, mix topping ingredients together in a separate bowl until it forms a crumb. Sprinkle on top of the filling in the baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel

A Note About The Unknown