Things are heating up here on the East Coast, and the humidity doesn't help. So this week for shabbos, I decided to try my hand at a simple sorbet. I went for watermelon because I'm seeing them everywhere and they're just sooooo tempting when you feel sticky and icky after being outside for only 10 minutes. And as I had also bought a bunch of mint leaves so I could make some Limonana , I figured why not add a little mint. The result is this beautifully pink, deliciously refreshing, and wonderfully icy treat. Make it. Love it. Watermelon Mint Sorbet (Note: This recipe is based off of Paula Dean's recipe for Raspberry Sorbet .) Ingredients 1 seedless watermelon, cut into chunks, without rind 2 Cups sugar (note: I actually halved the sugar and water in this recipe and made only 1 Cup of simple syrup, adding a about 1/2 cup of Splenda to the sorbet while it mixed in the ice-cream maker. You can try the original 2 cups, but remember that it was for raspberr...
Earlier this week, I found a recipe that caught my eye for two reasons: 1) Delicious looking picture and 2) The instructions consisted of one line. "Mix together all ingredients and serve." How could I resist? I'll tell you. I couldn't. The recipe was for Chicken, pesto and pasta salad . Sounds amazing, right? Click the link. Really. See that picture? Yeah, it was just as good as it looks. :) So, the minute I saw it, I determined I was going to make it sometime this week. I planned out the week's dinners and decided that Wednesday would be a good night to experiment. So I bought pasta and chicken at 7-Mile Market, but couldn't find pesto. I tried Shoppers, too, with no luck. I was worried I might have to break out my food processor and make it from scratch (heavens, no!!) until my father gave me the idea to check out Giant, where I pretty much never shop. I'm thinking I might have to start shopping there because they have pretty much everythin...
Some of you may remember that last week I made a challah recipe given to me by my friend's chosson. I mentioned that I wanted to try it with more yeast and sugar and maybe some vanilla. Well, that's what I did tonight. I added 1/2 cup of sugar, used the whole packet of yeast instead of 1 tsp, added 1/4 cup of honey and a tablespoon of vanilla. I also added extra water and flour in an attempt to use enough flour to say a bracha on separating the challah, but since I wasn't sure if I used enough in the end, I just didn't say it. (Though, in retrospect, I probably did use enough. It was about 11-13 cups and I'm pretty sure it was most of a 5 pound bag, but because I hadn't paid close enough attention to be sure, I didn't want to take chances.) Result? The most amazing challah I have ever made (ever!) with only slightly more effort than last time (because the dough was stickier) and quite possibly the best challah I have ever eaten. I consider this a work...
Comments