Homemade Lo Mein

I'm trying to get in the habit of planning my weekly meals when I shop. I started it last week and I'm continuing this week. So my menu this week was/is as follows:

Sunday night: we went to a BBQ
Monday night: We ate at my parents' (before posting this entry, I previewed it and it's a good thing because I discovered that this said, "We ate my parents." Which, I assure you, we didn't do.)
Tuesday night: Grilled chicken and green beans
Wednesday night (tonight): Lo Mein
Thursday night: Hamburgers
Shabbos: No plans yet. ~shrug~

So tonight is lo mein night. I've always been a fan of lo mein but never really tried making it, which is silly since I've just discovered how easy it is. I got the idea to do it when I was emailing my sister-in-law last week. She had read the post on the pesto chicken and pasta salad I made and was excited to try it until my brother told her he doesn't like pesto. I think I knew that...
Anyway, I suggested she use sauted mushrooms, garlic and ginger along with the chicken, use long noodles (like spaghetti, angel hair, etc.) and toss it all with soy sauce instead of pesto. I'd never made it before, but it sounded tasty in my head. So I decided I'd make it this week.

It was very tasty. Much better than restaurant lo mein, imho, because it wasn't greasy like restaurant lo mein. It took me 10-15 minutes to throw together and was a filling, delicious dinner. The following recipe is made up of the things I had on hand. If you don't have sausages or chicken, you can use any other protein you want. I don't think fish would be a good idea, but you can do tofu, leftover chicken from soup, beef, or oriental veggies (like snow peas, water chestnuts, baby corn, etc).

Homemade Lo Mein

1 package long, round noodle pasta (like spaghetti, angel hair, etc.)
1/2 8 ounce package of mushrooms, sliced
2 Hot sausages, cut into chunks
1 grilled chicken breast fillet, cut into chunks
1-2 cloves of garlic (depending on your personal preference), thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh ginger root, diced
(OR - 1 tsp dry ground ginger)
Soy sauce, to taste


1. Cook your pasta according to package directions.
2. While the pasta is cooking, sauté the mushrooms and garlic for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add in the chicken and sausage chunks and the ginger root/ground ginger. Continue sautéing until it looks yummy.
4. After draining pasta, mix the sautéed ingredients into the noodles along with the soy sauce.
5. Eat and enjoy. :)


See? Quick and easy dinner.<3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel