Turkey Meatloaf

Let me begin this post by apologizing for not having any pictures. If this bothers you as much as it bothers me, remember that I always accept donations to the camera fund. :oD

Now on to business. For a while I've been saying that I want to start eating healthier, at least most of the week. This week I decided to actually do it. For this trick, I had to head to the grocery store and buy some healthy foods, like frozen vegetables, to stock up my freezer/pantry.

As part of this, I planned my meals for the week by hunting through my blogs and piecing together some ideas. Meal planning is something I keep thinking I need to do more of, too, but it's hard for me to remember to do it. Also, I often make the mistake of planning something for two meals, and then I get reminded around night 2 that the Huz "needs" to eat a lot of food or he'll "starve," and the leftovers from the previous night just won't cut it for him.

So here's my plan for this week:

Monday: Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Butternut Squash and Frozen Green Beans
Tuesday: Eat at my parents' for my mom's birthday (Happy Birthday, MOMMY!)
Wednesday: Sweet and Sour Tofu Stir-fry with a side of rice stuff I discovered at the store. (I would write the actual name, but I don't remember it. I'll post more on it later if it's good)
Thursday: Mushroom Soup and leftovers


Today's post is about last night's dinner, Turkey Meatloaf. I got the recipe off of Gina's Skinny Recipes, a great blog with TONS of healthier versions of various foods. It's particularly great because she includes nutrition information and calculates the Weight Watcher's points for all the recipes.

I took her recipe and tweaked it a little (as I'm prone to do) to make it more fun.

PLEASE NOTE: This recipe contains Worcester sauce. Usually, Worcester sauce contains anchovies, a fish. To avoid mixing fish with meat, make sure to buy a brand which specifies that it contains no fish.

Mini Turkey Meatloaves

Ingredients
  • 1/2 small onion, minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1.3 lb 99% lean ground turkey {I only had 1 lb, but use the whole 1.3 if you have it}
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal {I didn't have oatmeal, so I used whole wheat bread crumbs}
  • 1/4 cup ketchup + 2 tbsp
  • 2 tsp worcesterchire sauce
  • {I also used hot sauce, because I love it}
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp marjoram
  • salt
  • {I added in garlic powder, ground red pepper, and some ground black pepper}
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Saute the onions in the olive oil until translucent.
  3. Mix all of the ingredients, except for the the 2tbsp of ketchup and the worcesterchire sauce, together in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Divide into mini-loaf pans (I got about three little loaves out of it, but the extra 1/3rd of a pound should be enough to get it to four.)
  5. Mix together the ketchup, worcesterchire sauce, and a little hot sauce in a small cup.
  6. Brush the sauce over the loaves.
  7. Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
  8. Let it sit 5 minutes before serving to avoid burning anyone.


These came out really tasty and are actually a pretty healthy dinner when served with veggies. Check out Gina's Skinny Recipes for the nutrition details.

Enjoy! :)

Comments

Rachel said…
That's basically the way I do mine, only I don't sautee the onions first, I don't use a filler and the consequent egg, and I use mustard and curry powder also (I've been replacing the hot sauce with schug, since it was there and the Tabasco wasn't, and I actually like it better).
One thing you may want to know, though, is that Worcester sauce contains anchovies. I was dismayed to learn this, because I was using it in so many meat dishes. C'est la vie.
Sara said…
@Rachel - SOME Worcester sauce contains anchovies. You can buy some (kosher brands in particular) that contain no fish. But I will make a note in the post to be careful of that.

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel

A Note About The Unknown