Oven Baked Onion Rings and Mozzarella Sticks



Over Shabbos, we got an ice storm here in Baltimore. I had been warned that the street conditions weren't too great, so the Huz and I decided to stay in and have a family Lost marathon. We had a tasty breakfast, followed by Lost and laundry, then more Lost, more laundry, and then it was snack time.



For a while, I've had this big onion in my fridge. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it, because it was pretty impressive. But what I DID think of was onion rings, and I'm glad I did. It took me about 1 episode of Lost to make these, but it was pretty easy.



I've seen several recipes for oven-baked onion rings and have wanted to try it for myself. I must say, I have yet to find anything fried that can't be made equally delicious and crispy in the oven, and these were no exception. They came out perfectly crispy and tasty, but without all the grease and fat.

While I was making the onion rings, I decided to grab a couple sticks of string cheese and make cheese sticks. My problem with cheese sticks is that they always melt out of the breading. I mean, they still taste good, but it doesn't have the same effect. I'll figure out how to fix this problem one of these days.

Anyway, here's the recipe. Make them. Love them. Never buy take-out onion rings again.



Oven-Baked Onion Rings

Ingredients:
  • Bread crumbs/cornflake crumbs/matzah meal (or a combination of all three)
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper
  • flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten with a little water
  • buttermilk/milk with vinegar/soymilk with vinegar
  • Onion
Instructions:
  1. Mix the bread crumbs with the onion and garlic powder
  2. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper
  3. Slice the onion into thick rings and soak them in the buttermilk for about 10 minutes.
  4. Take each ring out of the buttermilk, dip it into the flour, then into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  5. Once all the onion rings have been breaded, spray them with Pam and put them into a preheated oven at about 425 degrees.
  6. Bake them until crispy (about 10-15 minutes)


Enjoy, and drive safely in these icy conditions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel

A Note About The Unknown