Last night was the Second Annual Baltimore Cake Awareness Conference. This event is intended to raise awareness of cake, its social problems, and its place in society. We hear speeches on various cake-related topics and as an added bonus, we get to EAT CAKE! Lots of it!
While contemplating what I would make for this year's event, I found a recipe for making Neapolitan Cupcakes. (I don't have a link to the blog because...I lost it. But no, this was NOT my idea.) The recipe seemed easy, fun, and tasty.
So...I made them.
And they WERE easy, fun, and tasty!
So what's in them?
Yield: About 36 cupcakes
- 1 box Brownie Mix (prepare batter according to package directions OR just mix with 1 can pumpkin)
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix (prepare batter according to package directions)
- Vanilla frosting (prepackaged, or homemade. Recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare muffin pans by lining them with cupcake papers.
- Place 2 Tablespoons of the brownie batter into each cupcake paper
- Place 2 Tablespoons of strawberry cake batter into each cupcake paper
- Bake cupcakes for ABOUT 18-20 minutes
- Let the cupcakes cool completely and then top with vanilla icing.
- 1 C margarine/butter (2 sticks)
- 4C powdered sugar, sifted to get out lumps
- 4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp milk/soy milk
- Cut margarine/butter into chunks and cream with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and continue to cream with mixer until combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar in small increments, mixing until creamy after each addition.
- After all the powdered sugar has been added, add in milk/soy milk until the frosting reaches the desired texture.