And why didn't I try sooner?
It's so incredibly easy!
This recipe is delicious and PERFECT JUST AS IT IS! (adapted from Dine & Dash)
Note the stiff peak. :)
Apple Meringue Pie
- ~4 apples, 3 diced and 1 sliced thin
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- juice of 1 lemon (or just eyeball some lemon juice. Don't gotta be too scientific)
- 2 egg whites
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- Bring water and 1/2 C sugar to a boil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add in diced apples, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and 4 Tbsp sugar on high with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add in vanilla and beat until vanilla is incorporated.
- line the bottom of the pie crust with the sliced apple, top with the diced apple filling, then spread meringue on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 18 mins.
- Cool before serving.