Schug (Hot Pepper Dip)


I have a thing for spicy.

Not a HUGE thing.

But I like my food to have some kick.

For this reason, about once a year, I buy a small container of green Schug, a Middle-Eastern hot pepper dip.  I use it sparingly to add that certain something to various foods, including eggs, sandwiches, chummus...just about anything.

Last week, I was walking through the produce aisle and noticed a package of bright red, flawless hot peppers...for $1.  I had no clue what I would use them for, but I bought them.

Then on Friday, I thought, "Schug!  Yay!"

This schug recipe comes out spicy, but not TOO spicy.  It's flavorful, but with that certain kick you look for in a hot pepper sauce.

Goes well with Challah and chummus.

(Note: I didn't measure anything, so there are no measurements.  I'm trying to guess, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting it exact.)

Schug


  • 1 Cup hot peppers, stems and seeds removed
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp chopped parsley (fresh is best, but dried will work fine.)
  1. Puree ingredients together.
  2. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.  It will be very sharp right after pureeing.  If you let it sit an hour or two, it will be much milder.

Comments

Pragmatician said…
sounds good enough, indeed I believe food should have a kick :)

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel