Sloppy Joes

I want to begin this post with a very important announcement:

Apparently, I like sloppy joes!

The only memory I have of eating sloppy joes has me sitting at a friend's house as a little girl eating what was clearly nothing but overcooked ground beef and ketchup.

That was never my thing.  I'm sure I attempted to nibble politely, but rest assured I had no interest in trying it again after that experience.

Then last week, my husband came home from work and requested sloppy joes because his coworkers had mentioned they would be eating it for dinner and now he wanted some.  It's not like him to request anything for dinner.  When asked, he usually just says, "Whatever you want."  Naturally, I wanted to jump on this opportunity.

I did a recipe search and found something that looked ok.  As I planned this dinner, I kept thinking of alternative foods I could have available for myself, because I don't like sloppy joes.

In that spirit, I actually went out to dinner with my mom before coming home and making dinner for the Huz.

This whipped up very quickly and easily.  Sauteed some onions and green pepper, added meat, broke it up and browned it, added sauce, simmer--Meal made!

And then I tasted it.

~BOOM!~

Mind.

Blown.

I hope yours will be, too.



Sloppy Joes (adapted from AllRecipes.com)

  • 1 lb ground chicken/beef/turkey/soy meat
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced small
  • 1 green pepper, diced small
  • 3/4 C ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp red wine
  • 3-4 dashes hot sauce, to taste
  • 3 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • s&p to taste
  1. Saute onion and green pepper in a large in a skillet on medium heat until translucent.
  2. Add in meat, breaking up, mixing with onion and pepper, and letting it brown.
  3. Add in all other ingredients, mix well, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Serve on hamburger buns.  Be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel