Annapolis, Meatballs and Ice Cream (and Shabbos Cooking)



Earlier this week, my mother and I headed into Annapolis for a little day trip. I mention this only because I wanted to include that picture. It's a pretty place and probably a lot more pleasant to hang out when it isn't 90 degrees out.

Now on to cooking. Wednesday night, I made some D-E-LICIOUS sweet and sour meatballs for dinner. The recipe was given to me by a friend who we stayed with for Shavuos last year. She had made it as an appetizer for a yom tov meal, but I felt pretty confident that, if served with whole wheat pasta, it would make an excellent weekday dinner. Boy was I right! It was not only incredibly yummy, but it was really good and filling too! It lasted two nights (even with Yaakov eating it!)

Now, here's what I discovered: It's a little difficult to take appetizing pictures of sweet and sour meatballs with a point and shoot camera. But here's what I've got for you:

The above photographed meatballs are not fully cooked. Once cooked, the coloring is darker. Also, this picture doesn't convey the awesome smell, or that perfect tangy taste against the savory meat.

The recipe is so simple and they come out so amazingly yummy, you've really got to try it! (The recipe is at the end of this post). Another cool thing about this recipe is that, once the meatballs were gone, there was plenty of sauce left over and I was able to use it in my cholent for shabbos. Sweet and sour cholent? Awesome.



Now, today was forecast to be over 100 degrees, so I decided that in the spirit of summer, I'd try out a friend's recipe for pareve mint chocolate chip ice cream. I would share the recipe, but I don't think I'm allowed to. So, instead, I'm sharing pictures. I don't have any of it nicely scooped into a cone, but I do have these shots of the ice cream maker at work: The one above is right after the batter was poured in and the one below is about 20 minutes later when it started to turn into ice cream.



Other than sweet and sour cholent (which is just the sauce, some quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and meat), I also made some honey ginger salmon, soy sauce green beans and mushroom garlic couscous.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 egg
• ½ c. bread crumbs/matza meal
• ½ onion, grated
• ¾ tsp. salt
• ¾ tsp. pepper
• ½ tsp. oregano

Sauce:
• 1 c. jellied cranberry sauce
• ¾ c. ketchup
• ¼ c. brown sugar
• 2 tsp. lemon juice
Pineapple juice to cover the meatballs

1. simmer sauce ingredients for 25-30 minutes, stirring often
2. form meatballs into 1 inch balls. Add to sauce and simmer for 1 hour.


Honey Ginger Salmon

  • Salmon fillets

  • 1/2 to 3/4 Cup honey

  • 1 tbsp (ish?) soy sauce

  • 1 tsp (ish?) olive oil

  • 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger

  • 1 tsp garlic powder

  • a pinch of fresh ground black pepper



1. Mix the sauce ingredients until completely combined.
2. Pour over the salmon. Sometimes, I dredge them in a little flour first so that the sauce will stick better.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes. (check the fish after 15 minutes to see if it's cooked through)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel