My sister's engaged! And I baked more cookies!

Well, if you haven't heard yet (and I'm pretty sure that everyone who reads this blog has heard) my wonderful big sister, Rachel, is engaged! :oD You can read the FAQ about the engagement here.

Needless to say, we're all very excited. But my excitement over the engagement doesn't keep me from baking. Last week, I forgot to blog about the gingersnaps I made. The recipe is from David Leibovitz, Chez Panisse Gingersnaps I didn't take any pictures of the cookies, but they looked pretty much like he pictures them. These were my first attempt at "icebox" cookies. I was surprised to find that after about an hour in the frechallaezer, the cookies still smushed instead of slicing cleanly, like I'd anticipated. It didn't effect the outcome of the cookie, which was delicious. So much so that I didn't even care that they were crunchy! They were also VERY easy to make. If you read his blog post about them, that was the exact point of the recipe.

This week, I made Key Lime Meltaway Cookies from Smitten Kitchen. I decided to make these when I found the recipe using the "surprise me" button on the blog. The pictures looked so amazing and the recipe sounded so simple and delicious I really just felt like I had to make them. Once again, I failed to get pictures of them, but they came out just like the ones on SK.

Two things about making these cookies:
1) Using a zester is probably a better idea than zesting limes with a peeler. It took a very long time (about 30 minutes or so) just to zest the limes and then I had to chop the zest. Next time, I'll have a zester.
2) Pay very close attention to the instructions. While it lists 1 cup of confectioner's sugar in the ingredients, you're only supposed to use 1/3 cup in the cookies. The rest are for coating them after baking. I made the mistake of putting in the full cup and spent a bit of time wondering if I should start over, triple the recipe or just pretend it didn't happen. I decided on the latter and, fortunately, it didn't seem to make a difference. Or maybe it did. Who knows?


Now, I think my grandmother said it best when describing these cookies: "As Sara's friends say, these are 'awesome!'"

They really are phenomenal cookies. My father suggested trying them as almond cookies, lemon cookies, or any other fun kind of cookie. I think I will at some point. But as lime cookies, they really are something special. My only recommendation is to leave them in the freezer quite a bit longer than an hour. Maybe overnight? That way they'll slice much better. I'll make the dough on Thursday night next time. Maybe I'll make a little extra to keep in the freezer for those cravings, like the blog recommends. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel