Hot Weather And Salad Dinner

Since it's been two weeks since my last update, I figured I should write something to keep my readers interested. I think that's what blogging is supposed to be about.

If you've been in Baltimore this week, you know that the weather here is kind of miserable right now. It's been in the 90's all week, but with humidity it feels like it's over 100 degrees. Well, this Shabbos, the temperature will actually reach 103 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now I don't want to hear anything from people in Arizona saying 103 degrees is pretty normal by their standards, or people in Israel complaining about 105 degree weather. I'm not trying to start some "who's hotter?" competition, I'm just stating facts. Regardless of whether there's worse weather elsewhere in the world (you like that use of homonyms, don't you?), the weather here is still pretty awful.

Anyway, these kinds of miserable mid-summer days get me thinking about food. Primarily foods like popsicles, ice cream, smoothies, fresh fruit, and bags of frozen peas applied liberally all over my body. I've got a whole bunch of ice cream and sorbet ideas in the works, but until I finish off that Cherry Chocolate Chunk ice cream, I won't have a container to put them in or room in the freezer. We're working on it, no worries.

In the meantime, I've got to come up with dinners that are filling, healthy (read: non-sugar based), but also light and simple enough to avoid heat stroke.

Tonight's dinner was a pretty good example. I made a broccoli slaw with chunks of deli, craisins, Granny Smith apple chunks, and a honey garlic dressing (homemade with low fat mayo). It came together quickly (10 minutes? If that much? How long does it take to cut an apple and a hunk of deli into chunks?), it was pretty tasty, and managed to be a decently balanced meal all at the same time (all the major food groups: protein, veggies, fruit, and mayonnaise). When paired with a nice, tall, ice cold glass of seltzer, it was even pretty refreshing.

Well, I hope this will tide you all over until my next kitchen adventure. Until then, {insert catchphrase here}!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Picking

Coconut Milk Caramel

A Note About The Unknown