It really happened...

Last night I had the amazing experience of attending my brother's wedding. Let's not begin this story at the beginning, because the beginning includes all the stress and the lateness and frustration. Let's begin with the kabbalas panim because that's where things started to settle down...and that's when the entire chosson's family (chosson included) arrived. As was to be expected, the kallah, Mya, was absolutely stunning. None of us could get over how beautiful she was, and I'm sure my brother's heart skipped a beat when he saw her as well.

When I saw her for the first time in her gown and makeup, I actually lost my breath for a fraction of a second. No exaggeration. That moment was also the first one where the enormity of what was happening that day hit me. It was the first, but definitely not the last. The next was seeing my brother standing under the chuppah. That's when I started to tear up. But the moment where it all came to a head, where it really smacked me right in the face, was watching the crowd dance them off to the yichud room. Suddenly, I realized that my brother was the one holding hands with a beautiful kallah in the middle of a huge circle of singing boys. I don't know what came over me, but the next thing I knew I was sobbing uncontrollably.

I'd like to add that I didn't shed a single tear at my own wedding, despite my best efforts and contrary to popular belief. I had been so disappointed because I thought it would be this huge emotional experience for me, but I was just too spaced out to really feel anything intense.

In spite of my little epiphanies at the wedding, I still can't believe my brother is married. I'm hoping it will really sink in when I see them together at sheva brachos tomorrow night.

Mazal tov Shmuel and Mya! May you have bracha, simcha and good things from your lives for many many many many many (etc) years to come. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut Milk Caramel

Strawberry Picking